In March 2022 the Stewards of Seekers Church affirmed a commitment as “partner community” with CreatureKind, the nonprofit group that advocates for awareness about Christian obligations to farmed animals. The complete partnership statement can be found here.
As a CreatureKind Partner Community, we will support community conversation about this part of our commitment to caring for all of Creation. A Seekers ministry team of Members and Stewards will work to help us explore our care for animals by:
- Encouraging at least one class in the School for Christian Growth about attending to the welfare of animals farmed for human use and consumption. The class may use materials from CreatureKind, a book, or a film.
- Facilitating a sermon annually about loving God and creation by attending to the welfare of animals farmed for human use and consumption.
- Conducting a community discussion about CreatureKind and the welfare of farmed animals annually following a worship service.
- Working to sponsor a Friendly Food Challenge at Seekers.
- Working with our Children’s Team to add to our Sunday School curriculum material on animal welfare and our responsibilities as Christians to animals.
The CreatureKind ministry team will help our church live more fully into our commitment to care for the natural environment in inclusive, creative ways.
CreatureKind, based in Eugene, Oregon, (becreaturekind.org) has as its mission to encourage Christians to recognize faith-based reasons for caring about the well-being of fellow animal creatures used for food, and to take practical action in response.